The Mobius web portal is available to all members of the consortium. Its features and capabilities are constantly evolving, and it currently provides users the ability to:
- Discover machines and makerspaces
- Search the database of machines at your university and around the world based on:
• Materials you need to work with
• Machine type
• Machine capabilities
- Access via a mobile friendly site
- Get Machine and Shop Details including location, status and contact information
Step 0: Getting Started
After you have joined the Make Impact Consortium and the contractual pieces are out of the way, you’re ready to move forward with the Mobius web portal. We will need the following information to get the process started. (Note that if you have elected to go the custom portal route, the setup and configuration steps are a bit different. See the on-boarding instructions for custom portals instead.)
Approximate time to complete: 0.2-2.0 weeks (depending on how readily at hand inventory information and other assets are, and what business and policy conversations might need to happen at your university)
- A Primary Business Contact at your university who will be the main point of contact for policy, roll-out, and other business decisions
- A Primary Technical Contact at your university who will be the main point of contact for data and support questions, and can connect us with any additional resources we may need to work with
- The main email domain that are in use at your university, for example
- A copy of the Shop and Equipment Upload Spreadsheet for each shop and its equipment you want to include in the initial data load for the portal (Make Impact Uploader Sample.xlsx, Instructions for Mobius Upload Template.pptx)
Step 1: Initial Follow-up and Setup
After we get the above information and you let us know you’re ready to proceed, one of MIT’s technical contacts will reach out to your primary technical contact to get started on the details. The initial steps will look similar to the below.
Approximate time to complete: 1.0-2.0 weeks.
- We will set up your university as a top-level organization in the Mobius web portal
- We will load your makerspaces and equipment into the Mobius web portal
- We will configure the account registration subsystem to allow anyone with an email address at your university to sign up for a Mobius web portal account
- We will work with you to provision a test account at your university that can be shared with MIT Mobius admins for testing (if possible)
- Sharing and execution of a basic testing plan
Step 2: Formal Launch and Promotion
Launch and promotion plan suggestions go here.
Approximate time to complete: variable (depending on your plans and goals)
* If there are multiple domains, we can accommodate, that but each user should only have an account at one of the listed domains. For example, if your faculty and students are on different domains such as
students.school.edu, we would want to include them both. But if all your users have accounts at
school.edu and some also have accounts at
business.school.edu, we would only want to include
school.edu (to avoid duplicate accounts for the same person).