Mobius Custom Portals can be branded and named to seamlessly fit within a school’s graphic identity. This page goes through what can be customized, what we recommend you keep, and how to work with us if you are interested in a custom portal.
Step 0: Getting Started
After the contractual pieces are out of the way and you’re ready to move forward with your custom portal, we will need the following information to get the process started.
Approximate time to complete: 0.2-2.0 weeks (depending on how readily at hand inventory information and other assets are, and what business and policy conversations might need to happen at your university)
- A Primary Business Contact at your university who will be the main point of contact for policy, branding, roll-out, and other business decisions
- A Primary Technical Contact at your university who will be the main point of contact for integration and support questions, can triage requests for network and identity services, and can connect us with any additional resources we may need to work with
- A copy of the Shop and Equipment Upload Spreadsheet for each shop and its equipment you want to include in the initial data load for the portal (Make Impact Uploader Sample.xlsx, Instructions for Mobius Upload Template.pptx)
- Your Basic Branding Information, in particular a High Resolution Digital Logo+ and your School Colors (in hex or decimal RGB)
- If you are aware of any upcoming special requests, such as importing existing credentials for users or other data related concerns, please share examples of current data you have
Step 1: Initial Follow-up and Setup
After we get the above information and you let us know you’re ready to proceed, one of MIT’s technical contacts will reach out to your primary technical contact to get started on the details. The initial steps will look similar to the below.
Approximate time to complete: 2.0-4.0 weeks (depending on the complexity of SSO integration, testing, and any policy conversations or formal request processes that need to be completed)
- Initial email to make the connection with your primary technical contact
- Creating a DNS CNAME under your university domain that points at the MIT Mobius server cluster (for example, creating the CNAME mobius.umich.edu to point at makeimpact.mit.edu)
- After the CNAME exists, configuration of the custom portal can begin and we will set up the correct routing, initial branding, and color scheme to deliver if someone visits your custom portal by name
- Single Sign-on integration*, which will involve mutual sharing of Identity Provider and Service Provider meta data, and setup with your identity provider of the correct attributes to hand back to the MIT Mobius server
- Provisioning a test account at your university that can be shared with MIT Mobius admins for testing (if possible)
- Identifying makerspace admins who will have the rights to administer your makerspaces and issue credentials to your students
- Sharing and execution of a basic testing plan
Step 2: Formal Launch and Promotion
Launch and promotion plan suggestions go here.
Approximate time to complete: variable (depending on your plans and goals)
+ For images and graphic assets, scale-able formats (EPS, SVG) or high resolution images with transparent backgrounds (PNG) are generally preferred; it you have an existing logo or graphic identity page that is publicly accessible, a link to that page would be great
* The Mobius platform currently supports Shibboleth/SAMLv2+ single sign-on; other SSO solutions may require additional development time and effort to implement