The Make Impact Consortium is hosting an Omni Hotels & Resorts COVID-19 Design and Innovation Challenge to engage its students in entrepreneurship through community building and social awareness. Student teams will design, model and CAD solutions around the theme of reopening hotels safely during COVID-19.
- Exploring Business Opportunities with Laurie Stach
- Introduction to MATLAB with Neha Sardesai (MathWorks)
- Introduction to Simulink with Neha Sardesai (MathWorks)
- AUTODESK: Parametric Modeling with Gaby Waldman-Fried
- AUTODESK: Assembly Modeling with Gaby Waldman-Fried
- AUTODESK: Sculpting and Surface Modeling (to Fusion Teams) with Gaby Waldman-Fried
- Presentation Skills with Conor McArdle
Each MIC member university may have several teams (minimum 3 members, maximum 4 members). Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to participate.
Each team member will receive a $350 stipend based on teamwork and attending the training sessions.
Theme: Solutions to make guests feel safe at hotels during the pandemic
Student teams from the global member universities will compete to design products and software which will address key concerns of hotel guests.
Sept 28 Announcement
Oct 19 Information and Training Sessions (Autodesk, Mathworks, Entrepreneurship 101, Presentation skills) will empower the students to learn new skills while MIC can assess and evaluate teaching methods and tools used in innovation
Oct 26 Teams start initial idea concept work
Oct 30 Teams pitch 3 possible project concepts/ideas
Nov 2 Idea selection of best option
Nov 9-16 Technical Design Reviews by MIT staff and faculty
Nov 23 Submission of Presentations
Nov 24 Dry Run of Presentations
Nov 25 Final Presentations and Awards
Final presentations on November 25:
- 15 minute final pitch via Zoom
- Panel of MIC members and sponsors vote on the best project in regard to concept, implementation and potential
Cash prizes will be awarded to the best design(s) and for the best media documentation effort (documentation of photos, videos and more).
1st prize: $5000
2d prize: $2500
3d prize: $1500
Media Documentation Prize: $1000