Mobius is the Consortium’s mobile-friendly web-based portal that provides interfaces and access for consortium member universities to valuable tools and resources. First, it provides students, facility managers and administrators with a holistic understanding of their university’s entire maker ecosystem. As more students join a maker community, they want to know where to find the tools they need, and how to access the spaces that are available to them. Mobius provides the perfect solution to make it fun and easy to find equipment and makerspaces on campus.
The Mobius Web Portal is available to all members of the consortium and provides users the ability to:
- Search a database of machines and makerspaces/shops at their university and around the world based on:
• Machine type
• Machine capabilities
- Access via a mobile friendly site
- Get Machine and Shop Details including location, status and contact information
The Mobius Custom Portal adds the following features to the web portal:
- Integration with Single-Sign-On (SSO)
- School specific logo and color scheme
- Student credentials, endorsements and flags
Payments should be a relatively easy integration for each school based on your credit card payment processor, though we would expect the school to pay for that development directly as it is unique to each school.
The consortium members will prioritize the following features and add to the backlog:
- Student connections
- Equipment booking
- Others as requested by consortium members
The following are hardware integrations that we are considering at MIT, and would definitely share if completed:
- Access controls/lock out based on credentials (would require local hardware setup as well)
- In shop credential display boards
Vides on Mobius
The Mobius platform allows for the inclusion of training videos on common makerspace tools. The Make Impact Consortium is working on a series of films to include in Mobius covering the basics of many popular machines and tools found in makerspaces.